Henry Elias Brewing
Business Type: Brewery (NY 388 a-d, NY 389 c & d & NY 390 a)
Years of Operation: 1853 to 1920
Location: Various locations throughout Manhattan (West 39th, East 54th,55th,56th,59th & 92nd)
Description: Henry Elias was a well known and prominent brewer in NYC who spent much of his career establishing (and also selling) breweries throughout the city. The history of Elias’s career can be found in several scattered sections of “One Hundred Years of Brewing” (H.S. Rich, 1903). In summary, Elias moved to the United States from Germany in 1850 and started his first brewery in 1855 near W. 39th St & Broadway producing lager beer. Elias closed this business to join as a partner with fellow brewer George Schmitt to open a new venture on East 59th St. “The Central Park Brewery”, he soon sold his interest in this company and started a new brewery on E. 92nd St in 1868. After operating the 92nd St. brewery for the next 4 years he sold the business to George Ringler & Christian Hagemeister in 1872 (in 1874 it would become the well known Geo. Ringler & Co. Brewery). All the while Elias had also been in partnership since the 1860’s with another well known brewer, Frederick W. Betz the two operated a brewery “Elias & Betz” on W. 44th St. which would relocate to E. 54th in 1874. Elias took sole control of this brewery in 1880, removed “Betz” from the name of the business and operated it as a sole proprietorship until 1886 when the business was incorporated.