John F. Trommer’s Evergreen Brewery
Business Type: Brewery
Years of Operation: 1897 to 1951
Location: Bushwick Ave. & Conway St. Brooklyn
Description: After serving as Brewmaster at several other breweries including Geo. Ringler in NYC & William Ulmer’s in Brooklyn, John F. Trommer started his own business in 1897 when he purchased the Stehlin & Breitkopf Evergreen Brewery. Trommer’s beer became widely popular throughout New York and beyond. While many of the other smaller breweries went out of buissness as a result of prohibition, Trommer’s survived and continued to grow. Eventually as time went on Trommer’s would become one of the largest and well known in NYC producing over a million barrels of beer per year during it’s peak in the late 40’s. The company finally ceased to exist in 1951 when it was sold to Piel Bro’s brewery.
Trommer’s may be one of the most widely seen NYC beer bottles coming in many different forms. Antique Beer Bottles of Old New York (Guest, G. 2004) references that there are over 26 variations of the Trommer’s bottle.